Agency Overview: SAFEchild is a non profit (501c3) agency in Wake County with an approximately $1,000,000 budget and growing. Established in 1992, SAFEchild’s mission is to help adults and children create nurturing environments free from abuse and neglect. With a staff of 14 and a cadre of more than 250 volunteers annually SAFEchild works with 900 families and 7000 children.
SAFEchild’s Board of Directors has embraced a strategic approach to build the philanthropic culture at SAFEchild by growing unrestricted funds through the implementation of an annual campaign and a major gift cultivation approach to reduce reliance on restricted grant money.
Job Purpose: The Director of Development will create, organize, direct and manage the implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising which includes major gifts cultivation, corporate donations, an annual campaign and luncheon, direct mail activities, special events, planned giving, marketing and soliciting in-kind resources.
Development is composed of two functional areas: fund-raising and marketing/public relations/marketing.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities: The Director of Development performs the following duties:
Plan fund development activities:
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and Executive Director to create a fund development plan that increases revenues to support SAFEchild’s strategic plan
- Implement the fund development plans in accordance with ethical fundraising principles
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
Organize fund development activities:
- Develop and implement strategies to create a philanthropic culture throughout the agency
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fund raising processes are carried out in a timely manner
- Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects for the organization’s fundraising priorities
- Cultivate current donors to increase their commitment to and investment in SAFEchild
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and SALESFORCE database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information
- Coordinate in-kind donations
Staff fund development activities:
- In consultation with the Executive Director, recruit, hire and supervise an annual campaign development officer who will be responsible recruiting, training, supervising and inspiring fund development volunteers
- In consultation with the Executive Director, recruit, interview, select and supervise well-qualified grant writer
- Foster an understanding of philanthropy within the organization
- Develop a comprehensive communication/marketing plan to promote the organization to donors and maximize public awareness of the fundraising activities
- Coordinate the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals
- University degree in a relevant field
- A certificate in Fundraising Management and/or a Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is an asset
Proficiency in the use of computer for
- Fund raising software; Word processing, SALESFORCE, Spreadsheets, Power Point, E-mail, Internet, Social media
Experience and Qualifications
- 3-5 years of development experience in a non-profit agency
- Emphasis on corporate sponsorships or corporate sales is a plus
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets and/or a quota of over $700,000 + annually
- Proven management and leadership capabilities
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative.
- Strong verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and thorough understanding of strategic fund development
- Demonstrated ability to prospect, cultivate, and manage donors/stakeholders
- Strong partnership-building skills
- Thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base, including major gifts, grant writing and annual campaign tasks
Number of hours: Full time (1FTE)
Salary and benefits: Commensurate with experience
Please send cover letter and resume to: Marjorie Menestres at Mmenestres@safechildnc.org
No phone calls please.
Will accept resumes through April 11, 2014
864 West Morgan St.
Raleigh, NC 27603 919 743 6140