SAFEchild Advocacy Center
Raleigh, North Carolina
Position Title: Children’s Medical Evaluator
Direct Supervisors: SAFEchild Advocacy Center Director and Medical Director
Work schedule: Full time position 40 hours a week
The SAFEchild Advocacy Center is a child friendly, community based facility providing positive outcomes for victimized children and their families. Children are referred to the SAFEchild Advocacy Center from law enforcement and child protective services because of suspected sexual and physical abuse and/or neglect. Services at the SAFEchild Advocacy Center include a comprehensive medical examination with documentation of signs of abuse and neglect, a digitally recorded interview with a specially trained child abuse evaluation specialist, and referrals for on-going services including mental health services and family support.
The SAFEchild Advocacy Center is seeking a Medical Provider to work as a member of the center’s Child Abuse Medical Evaluation Team. This team provides medical assessments, diagnosis, and treatment recommendations for children suspected to be victims of abuse and/or neglect. This team participates in a multidisciplinary team approach to the evaluation of suspected child abuse.
Duties and responsibilities include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Perform sensitive and thorough medical examinations of children for whom there are concerns of child sexual abuse, physical abuse and/or neglect, including photo documentation when indicated
- Obtain laboratory studies to rule out sexually transmitted infections and other genital infections
- Order any necessary x-rays or imaging studies
- Treat acute illnesses as indicated and arrange follow-up
- Provide information regarding medical findings to child protective service workers and/or law enforcement officers who are assigned to investigate the abuse of the victim child within the legal guidelines of confidentiality and ethical codes
- Complete documentation and reports regarding the medical examination of the child
- Testify in court when subpoenaed
- Other duties as requested by the SAFEchild Advocacy Center Director and SAFEchild Advocacy Center Medical Director
-Completion of education and training necessary to be a registered nurse, including a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and a graduate-level nurse practitioner program
-Appropriate professional degree and licensure as Pediatric or Family Nurse Practitioner or Physician’s Assistant
-Passing of the National Board Certification in Pediatrics
- Completion of education and training necessary to be a Board Certified Physician.
-Appropriate professional degree(s) and licensed to practice medicine in North Carolina.
-Significant experience treating pediatric patients.
Must possess appropriate professional degree and be licensed in the State of North Carolina
- At least three years clinical experience examining and treating pediatric patients
- Experience in performing gynecological examinations of children
- Experience in conducting evaluations of child sexual and physical abuse victims
Specialized and on-going training will be provided and continuing education in the field of Child Abuse Evaluations in order to keep up with current practices and standards of care will be expected
Other requirements for employment:
The person in this position must have a valid driver’s license and must pass an extensive criminal background check and be eligible to be bonded.
Position Class: Non-exempt and is subject to Wage and Hour guidelines for such positions.
40 hours per week